Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Day 15

Day 15—the half-way mark for this year's April challenge.  I will miss the daily prompts once the month has ended.  (Feel free to offer ones that tickle your fancy, and I'll be sure to give it a whirl!)

Today's prompt was to write a metaphor poem.  Now, as a speech-language pathologist, I'm hoping that other SLP's would understand the wobbly table when I write,  and words bouncing around, as metaphor for a communication disorder we often work with.  However, for those of you who are not SLP's, I'll tell you that as I wrote this piece, I was thinking about a child I'm working with who stutters.



What I Want to Say but Can’t Get Out

My table wobbles when I write
and I cannot keep my words from
sliding to and fro before they
fall completely off the page
to hit the floor like marbles.

You watch with pursed lips when I write.
Sometimes you take my pencil as if
your hand knows what I want to write.
It only proves that you can write.

Your table doesn’t wobble like mine does.
You probably don’t realize my frustration
with having a body generate its own earthquake
every time I want to share a thought.

If only you could show me,
help me steady this damn table,
without that look on your face
that tells me I’ll never be much of a writer
and, perhaps you’re right.
But, you will never get to read
the love songs I write for my dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 April PAD Challenge: Day 2

From Robert Lee Brewer's blog, Poetic Asides, "For today’s prompt, write a space poem." Acreage Endless skies spill over the...