Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Day 10

Here we are on Day 10 of this year's April PAD challenge!  Today's prompt is to write a Deal/No Deal poem.



Head in the Clouds

Sometimes, it’s hard rolling out of bed
each morning.  Families are so difficult
to deal with.

There’s fights between kids and fights
between spouses.  The “Who’s taking
out the garbage, ‘cause I did it last time”

sort of thing.  Not to mention the in
laws and ex laws, and those you’ll never
see again, but miss terribly all the time.

And on some mornings, like this one,
it would be so much easier to stay in
bed, pull the covers up over my ears,

pretend like I can’t hear them, all
shouting my name even before they
wake up to the smell of fresh coffee.

But, I’m in it for the long haul.  There’s
no way out that I can see.  The Buddhists 
say we all made some sort of deal before

we were even born, back when we were
just soul people, floating around in the
atmospheric pre-dawn of life.  I guess

my soul went around asking other souls
to help me learn certain lessons.  And a
bunch of other souls, looking for help

with their own stuff, signed up to play
on my team.  So, that’s how that went—
if you can believe the Buddhists.

Of course, those Tibetans do live way up
where clouds form, high in the Himalayas. 
I can imagine how a certain perspective

may have formed over time.  Trying to
figure out their own families from that height,
when you’re close enough to touch the sky,

with an unobstructed view of the world
below, just might provide someone
a little insider knowledge on how these

sorts of deals are made.  Anyway, I guess
it’s as good an explanation as any other
I’ve heard.


No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 April PAD Challenge: Day 2

From Robert Lee Brewer's blog, Poetic Asides, "For today’s prompt, write a space poem." Acreage Endless skies spill over the...